This is How Positive Change Happens…
I often get asked for book recommendations which is great because reading and learning is an important part of positive change and growth. Including reading books in the counselling or therapy process is called “bibliotherapy”, a fun word and one that’s not used much because it sounds kind of clinical or even, pretentious.
Here’s my Top 10 Books for Positive Change (these are in no particular order):
- When Things Fall Apart: Heartfelt Advice for Difficult Times by Pema Chodron
- Hold Me Tight or Love Sense by Dr. Sue Johnson
- Man’s Guide to Women: Scientifically Proven Secrets from the Love Lab about What Women Really Want by Drs. John and Julie Gottman with Douglas Abrams and Rachel Carlton Abrams
- Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life: Life-Changing Tools for Healthy Relationships by Marshall Rosenberg
- Attached by Amir Levine and Rachel Heller
- How to Survive the Loss of a Love by Harold Bloomfield, Melba Colgrove, and Peter McWilliams
- The Mindful Teen: Powerful Skills to Help You Handle Stress One Moment at a Time by Dr. Dzung Vo (this is not just helpful for teens)
- Curiosity Killed the Caterpillar by Tamara Skjolden
- How to be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys for Mindful Loving by David Richo
- Poetry by Mary Oliver, Rumi, Hafez, David Whyte, Thich Nhat Hanh, Pablo Neruda, or whatever moves you & a variety of fiction too!
Also, in recognition that we also learn through video/audio, here’s two of my favourite videos ever (and they’re less than 6 min each):
If you check out any of these books or videos, please feel free to email me with your feedback.
I encourage you to explore one or more of these resources. If it sparks you, excellent. Go with that. If not, that’s okay too. I don’t believe in forcing oneself to read an entire book. If it’s not connecting for you, as the saying goes, “Take what you like and leave the rest”. Some books fit at certain times of life better than others. Move onto the next book that clicks for you at this time in your life and enjoy!