About Kim Boivin
I offer a compassionate and grounded approach with real solutions to help promote the positive change I know you’re longing for in your life. . . I work with a variety of people across many walks of life. I practice in a way that is safe, knowledgeable, direct, and intuitive. I welcome the ethnic, cultural, sexual, religious/spiritual diversity of the people I work with.
My work is informed not only through my extensive training and experience but also through the wisdom of my own life experience. I believe I’m able to offer better service to people I work with because I know what it feels like to be a client. In other words, I’m not just working from a textbook. Before working as a Counsellor/Therapist in private practice, I worked for many years with people with developmental challenges, acquired brain injuries, and youth at risk. I also worked on child protection cases, often times supporting parents to make their lives safe and stable to be able to keep their family together.
I completed my Masters of Education in Counselling Psychology at UVic. Before that, I did my Undergraduate degree in Cultural Anthropology at SFU.
I became a Registered Clinical Counsellor with the BCACC in 2006.
Over the years, I’ve also completed and practiced the following trainings: Safe Teen Assertiveness Facilitator; EMDR Therapy; Gottman Couples Method; Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT); and Ego State Therapy.
Most recently, I’m training and practicing the evidence-based approach of Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (ISTDP).
I launched Positive Change Counselling in Vancouver in 2006 and it’s been growing ever since! .
Check out my 1 minute video introduction . . .
video by Cordell Briggs
- I’m a Registered Member of the BCACC: www.bc-counsellors.org/
- When working with couples, I include the research-based approaches of the Gottman Method www.gottman.com and Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) which is based on the work of Dr. Sue Johnson: http://www.
- Many people benefit from training in Nonviolent Communication (NVC) and I include it in my work often: http://www.cnvc.org/
- Mindfulness is also part of my practice: www.cbc.ca/consumer/
story/2008/11/18/f- mindfulmeditation.html I recommend the following book on Mindfulness: Peace is Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh
- I include the evidence-based approach of Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (ISTDP) in all my sessions with everyone I work with. To learn more about ISTDP, go to: http://istdpinstitute.
com/resources/intensive-short- term-dynamic-psychotherapy-an- introduction/ https://www.natkuhn.com/istdp
Subscribe to My Monthly Newsletter
Sessions are available in person at my office in Downtown Vancouver or over Skype or Facetime.